In this thread
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/alte...ml#post1775827
I mentioned my experiments with soft termination of the mouth edges or "lips" of the Altec 811. Documented somewhat in this diyAudio thread diyAudio Forums - Horn Honk and Towels - Page 1
Basically I started out with rolled up beach towels draped around the mouth of the 811. The result was subtle, but audible. It sounded like something went away. In fact it did, a kink in the FR at ~1 KHz. The effect was twice as pronounced with towels top and bottom as with just one. The sound was overall smoother.
I also used some pipe insulation, the black foam stuff that I picked up at a local HVAC store. It worked well, but was hard to make pretty. Ended up with tubes sewn out of gray flannel stuffed with Dacron fiber.
The idea is to easy the impedance change from the horn mouth to free air. If the change is too abrupt, it causes diffraction artifacts that are audible. Using a lossy material to gradually easy from hard metal to soft air seems to work well.
I wanted to build a good rollover with chicken wire or hardware cloth covered with felt, but never did.
This tweak does make a difference and is worth the effort. Cost is very low. Have fun with it!






Bookmarks